Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 2010 - Iberian Chiffchaff...at Potteric Carr YWT


Thursday 17th: In the birding fraternity, something that is termed "A MEGA" is considered an extremely rare visitor to the British Isles. Well on May 11th, an Iberian Chiffchaff took up residence at Potteric Carr YWT in Doncaster. This rather shabby-looking male has since staked out a territory and continually sings for a mate. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that he will get one, though there is another Iberian Chiffchaff that has taken up residence, but that is in Gwent, South Wales!

There have been only about 25 recorded instances of this Warbler in this country and this is only the 2nd ever in South Yorkshire! Well, late Thursday afternoon I finally got the chance to see this bird. Finishing work at 4pm, I crossed the road to the nature reserve. At that time of day it is always quiet as the site closes it's doors at 5pm. A good 20 minute trek to St. Catherine's Field where the bird has it's territory on a warm and sunny day.

As I approached the area, the Iberian Chiffchaff was conspicuous by it's song. Straightaway I saw the bird high up, atop a small tree but not so high that it was indistinguishable. Glad I carted my scope and tripod with me so that I could get some good close views of this once-in-a-lifetime visitor! Though binoculars served just as well. I was the only person there and had the Chiffchaff all to myself! It soon became apparent that the bird had a routine that it followed and by this I could take photos and alternate to either visual with or without the scope/binoculars.

For an hour and a half, I spent time in the company of the Iberian Chiffchaff, taking photos and just watching as it continued to sing. I could even hear it sing from some trees on the other side of the field although it was lost to view during it's set routine. The constant rumble of Motorway traffic close by was not a worry to it at all.

But as I said before, the bird had a set routine and I knew that after 10 minutes at the far-end of the field, it would be back. and of course it was. The best views were while the bird was perched singing in the small Hawthorn tree just a few meters away. These photos are taken while he was in that tree.

The song is, as you would expect different to the Common Chiffchaff that are Summer visitors to the British Isles and sometimes resident. Below is a short video of the Iberian Chiffchaff in song.

No comments: