Thursday, October 7, 2010

October 2010 - Slavonian Grebe at Doncaster Lakeside!



Thursday 7th: Well, at the third time of asking... I finally twitched this rare visitor! For the past three days I have trekked around the lake looking for the Slavonian Grebe, during my 30-minute lunch break from Work and during the last 2 hours before sunset after Work! It turned-out that if I was at one end of the lake, the Grebe was at the other end! This afternoon, I received another update from Richard, a fellow Birder telling me that at 2:15pm it was at the Stadium-end of the lake. When I got to the lake I teamed-up with another Birder who had a "top-of-the-range" camera with a telephoto lens the length of my arm! Almost immediately we saw the bird and followed as it casually sailed along.
When it got chased by a Great Crested Grebe, it took flight and we lost it briefly. A quick scan with binoculars soon located it and catching up with a more relaxed bird, we took some photos and chatted about its behaviour patterns and why it could be here. This Slavonian Grebe has been on Donny Lakeside since September 26th, so a decent time. The chap I spoke to has posted some images to http://www.birdguides.com/ and will be posting the images he took today, and cracking photos they are too! But here are my modest offerings.

No comments: