Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 2009: Sea Swans & RSPB Marazion Marsh

Thursday 10th: While down in Cornwall visiting relatives, I took time-out and drove 30 minutes along the coast to Marazion, a small town lying in the shadow of Penzance. Marazion Marsh is a small reserve across the road from the beach. Getting there at 9:15am, the blue sky was bright with the Sun and contrasted wonderfully with the blue sea. Immediately I spied 2 Little Egrets, an adult Mute Swan with 2 juveniles close-by. The Reserve is mostly reed-beds surrounded by heath type ground. What is readily apparent is the great abundance of rabbits on this heath! I must've counted 20+ rabbits in one small area alone! Plenty of Jackdaws about and House Martins. I did also see a Buzzard through binoculars, but it was far off over farm land and was not circling my way. I had been told of a Hide deep within the reeds but time was limited and I wanted to get on the beach to check on the bird life there.


When I arrived at Marazion, the tide was in. Some waders were on the shore and small flocks of Wagtails, both Pied and Yellow dashed abouts. A local birder had mentioned to me that a Pectoral Sandpiper, Citrine Wagtail and a Corncrake were in the area. Well, I wouldn't know a Citrine from a Yellow Wagtail or a Pectoral from a Common Sandpiper and the Corncrake required some serious time amongst the reeds of the marsh! Time I didn't have!

Now the tide was moving out rapidly revealing the Causeway to St Michael's Mount. Intriguingly, a group of sea birds had gathered at a point where a fresh water stream trickled from the marsh, across the beach and into the sea. These sea birds - a mixture of various Gulls and Mute Swans - appeared to be drinking seawater! Swans on the sea! Yes...Sea Swans and really sailing on the sea. The pictures here are proof of that! It transpires that the Swans as with other birds (and Butterflies) swim, sail or fly from the island mount to the Marazion beach. Several Cormorants were also perched on the rocks and although I saw a group of Sandpipers, I need to examine the video footage of them to see if one or any was a Pectoral Sandpiper!


Visiting Truro, I stopped by Truro mud-flats as I had heard that many Bar-tailed Godwits descend on the flats. Unfortunately only Gulls were in residence at the time of my visit. Neil, apologies for not getting over to see you, time was very limited. Hopefully next year! Below are some images from Truro.







No comments: