Monday, September 28, 2009

September 2009: Newport Wetlands Centre RSPB





Friday 11th: Having driven back to South Wales from Cornwall last night, a few hours at another RSPB Reserve was on the itinerary. So this morning I drove over to the RSPB Wetlands Reserve situated outside Newport and on the Severn Estuary. A fine warm day in which I saw plenty of birds and wild fowl. What I liked about this Reserve was the paths that actually went through the reed bed. So giving an opportunity to catch a glimpse of reed Warblers, Bearded Tits etc. In fact a couple of weeks previously several Bearded Tits were spotted. But as is my luck, I saw none. What I did see was 4 Curlews on the mud-flats in the estuary, 92 Shelducks! Yes 92, I counted them! There were good numbers of Goldfinch and other small passerines. Newport Wetlands Center is a very smart reserve and next time I visit the area will go birding here again.

No comments: