Thursday, October 1, 2009

September 2009 - Potteric Carr NR, in search of Kingfisher!

Monday 28th: A pleasant sunny day so after work I drove across the road to PCNR in search of Kingfisher. Now I only had 2 hours of sunlight left but the Kingfisher had made one particular Hide area his own territory so the chances of getting a positive sighting were high. I had decided that I would stay in the Hide for the duration. Loads of Canada Geese, a family of Moorhens, Mallards, Chaffinches, a Robin, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Treecreeper (highlight of the visit), various members of the Tit family, 5 Magpies, 2 Dunnocks, 6 Pheasants, a probable Sparrowhawk flying overhead and 4 Grey Squirrels not to mention a Water Rat....but no Kingfisher! Though a fellow birder did tell me that there was an Osprey at Sprotbrough Flash and that it had been there a few days. I would have to arrange time off work to go and see this elusive raptor.

No comments: