Friday, May 21, 2010

May 2010 - Bempton Cliffs RSPB








Friday 21st: As I came into this world on this day all those years ago, I decided to treat myself: take the day off work and drive out to the East Yorkshire coast near Bridlington for some birding on a gloriously hot and sunny day! My aim was to enjoy the coastal birds and see some Puffins. So where are all the Puffins? When I got to the Reserve I heard tell that there had been two seen today... but try as I could, I didn't see them! Scanning the cliff-face amongst the Razorbills and Guillimots is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Maybe it's early in the breeding season and they are all underground in their burrows. But surely the males must be constantly on the wing to supply their mates with a meal? Maybe the majority of them haven't returned yet...it may prove more profitable to make a return visit during June/July? I also over-heard someone saying that the surrounding North Sea is too warm and this will have an adverse effect upon their preferred prey; sand-eels. Well, lets hope there's a turnaround in the Puffins' fortunes and they return in numbers to inspire awe and wonder for visitors to this splendid coastal NR.




But the cliff-faces were lined with hundreds of Guillimots, Razorbills, Kittiwakes and Gannets. I never cease to look in wonder at the Gannets, such a large and sleek bird. When they are fairly close, as was one bird that can be seen from the photo gathering nesting material...they are huge! I also found an area where all the Rock Pigeons seem to congregate in numbers for safety, though I didn't see any of their predators, Peregrine Falcons. Too soon in the breeding season, I suspect later when chicks are out and about then these masters of the sky will be cruising the skies.






The sea water looks unusually clear. From the cliff-tops I could clearly see beneath the surface to the bottom and in some circumstances, see the patterns made by the volcanic lava that was laid down millions of years ago and now hardened to form rock. As can be seen with the photo of the Guillimots at the base of the cliff, large amounts of lava has hardened to rock and little holes can be seen where once the air bubbles escaped the cooling lava.

As for Passerines, there were plenty away from the cliffs. Pied Wagtails, Tree Sparrows, Chaffinches and Goldfinches are very common around the feeders. Carrion Crows and Jackdaws are the Corvids in residence. Lots of Barn Swallows were evident. Sky Larks and Meadow Pipits were in good numbers...but the highlight was the close sighting of a Whitethroat....which proved to be the one that got away as I spent a good 30 mins stalking it to get a photo which never happened!

Sunday 13th June - addendum:

I have since heard that some Puffins have returned to Bempton Cliffs! A work colleague, Jayne went to the NR with her family over the last Bank Holiday and her father saw 20 Puffins!

No comments: