Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 2010 - North Cave YWT & Blacktoft Sands RSPB


Saturday 17th: A glorious sunny and warm day was too good to ignore, so I ventured up the M62 to make my first ever visit to North Cave Wetlands NR. Born from disused quarry pits, North Cave certainly attracts a variety of bird life. A gentle stroll around the site takes around 90 minutes and if you stop off at any of the three hides to view the birds then be sure to add on another hour or so.






As usual with most water-borne sites, Black-headed Gulls were in some abundance and their raucous calls dominated the area. The Reserve is surrounded by crop fields and at the time of my visit a tractor was ploughing a field which attracted a retinue of Black-headed Gulls and Rooks. Sand Martins were continuously zipping around the sky and skimming the lakes.



Great Crested Grebes were paired-up, I counted 4 pairs and saw one on a nest of two eggs (I was informed) at the edge of the reed-bed. There appeared to be a small grouping of about 12 1st-year Lesser Black-backed Gulls. I have heard that they tend to stay inland, in small groups while most of the adults leave and go back to the coast for the Summer.



The immatures who are fending for themselves now, will eventually depart and join their piers. Lapwings, Gadwalls and Mallards numbered amongst other waterfowl. A Mute Swan was seen at some distance on a rather large nest amongst the reeds. I did note two pairs of Great Tits seen at close quarters and not too bothered by my presence.





But it was getting late in the afternoon and I needed to get to Blacktoft Sands. Time for a quick sandwich and coffee before I departed. A pleasant place for birds, though not enough passerines for me. Maybe I need to get there in the morning! Definitely worth another visit and not too far away!



Soon I was on my way back down the motorway making the short trip to Blacktoft Sands, five miles east of Goole. The last time I was here at the beginning of the month, I saw a non-stop display by the recent influx of Marsh Harriers. Maybe because it was late in the afternoon; 5pm when I got there, but I only saw three displaying; an adult male and two immatures. Even so, they were very distinct through binoculars and not too far away.



Up at Ousfleet hide I saw my second group of Avocets of the day... I don't get to see any for over a year and in one day manage to bag at least 32. A fair few Pheasants were seen, particularly males, as the site emptied and became quiet, they all came out into the open, I counted 6 within an hour. Wigeon, Shoverlers, Shelduck, Gadwalls, Mallards and the ever-present Black-head Gulls were on the lagoons in reasonable numbers. One Little Grebe in breeding plumage was also seen. Also on the water and in the adjacent crop field were Greylag Geese. Walking back to the car, the Sun was starting to set and this was the signal for the passerines to start singing from their roosting places. Chaffinches and Goldfinches were very conspicuous in the budding-tree branches while some Reed Buntings and Tree Sparrows were helping themselves to a last snack before darkness fell.

No comments: