Sunday, May 31, 2009

MAY 2009 - Potteric Carr NR....KINGFISHER!




I have now added the video camera footage of this intriging bird! Above are 4 stills taken from the video camera footage that I shot when the Kingfisher came back at 7:30pm to fish.








Saturday 30th, today was a warm and sunny day, time for a trip out to my local patch. As it was warm, I decided that to keep cool, I would wear a pair of shorts. Big mistake! Walking through woods dotted with small ponds inhabited by flying beasties called mosquitoes, I may as well have held a sign up proclaiming... "lunch is here!" Aside from that, it was an enjoyable afternoon walking in the Sun! The usual birds were seen...nothing out of the ordinary. In fact I thought that it was fairly quiet has birds go.

BUT, at teatime, (these things always happen at teatime) I decided to wander back to the car and called-in at Willow Pool Hide on the way. This hide is where you are more or less guaranteed to get good close-up views of birds as there are a couple of bird tables staked-out. I entered quietly as I always do and there were a couple already ensconced. The chap motioned to me "Kingfisher!" The bird was perched on a small sapling just 20 feet away....FANTASTIC! I snapped away! As I slowly got my video cam out, it flew off! But not to worry as it turned out. It was still in the area flying about and skimming the water. The couple left the hide and I decided that I was happy with what I had got and seen and would leave too. BUT, it then came back and perched on a sapling closer still,...just 10 feet away! My video camera was out and I grabbed good quality footage at close quarters!!!! WOW...AMAZING!!


No comments: